One Comment

  1. micksmixxx says:

    Unfortunately, my friend, yes, it can.

    Erectile dysfunction is more likely to occur with sustained uncontrolled diabetes. i.e. when your blood sugar (glucose) levels are higher than ‘normal’.

    There ARE treatments available, but you would need to be assessed by a genito-urinary specialist (urologist) to ascertain whether you have a psychological ‘problem’ or a physical one.

    The first thing that might happen is you’d be encouraged to make sure you’re blood glucose levels are within the ‘normal’ range for a few months. You MAY even be prescribed a course of vitamins as sometimes a lack of specific vitamins MIGHT be the cause of any difficulties.

    The next thing that MIGHT be tried or oral medications. (I’m assuming that you’ve heard of Viagra (Sildenafil), Cialis (Tadalafil) and Levitra (Vardenafil), but there’s also been a recent approval by the FDA for another medication called Stendra.)

    There are also injectable forms of medication, where the medication is injected into the corpora cavernosum … a specific area along the sides of the penis. (I know the sounds of this MIGHT put you off, but it’s really not so bad.)

    There’s also a trans-urethral pellet, called MUSE, which is inserted into the urethra, and massaged gently.

    Vacuum therapy devices, where a tube is placed over the penis and air extracted, causing a vacuum which encourages the penis to become engorged with blood. The ‘erection’ is maintained by a tight elastic band being applied to the base of the penis. This should be removed within about 30 minutes or damage can occur. (You’ve actually trapped blood in your penis, and you’re likely to notice a change in the colour [color, if you are, in fact, one of my American cousins ... or prefer the American spelling] as the oxygen supply is depleted.)

    Dependent on what you think, and this is normally considered a ‘last option’ there are prostheses … surgical implants, but we’re ‘jumping the gun’ if we start thinking along those lines at the outset.

    If you’re suffering with erectile dysfunction, my friend, I’d urge you to see your doctor with a view to being referred to see a urologist. Believe me, it’s NOT an unusual occurrence in people with diabetes and, although you MAY feel it embarrassing to talk about, it’s your health and ‘performance’ that’s more important.

    I wish you well, sir.

Comments are closed.